Started work on the first series backlog. Setup the website with
a Cloudfront CDN, easy deployment, etc. Most time was spent on setup.
I work with AWS (among a bunch of other things) at work, so it wasn’t
too hard to setup an account to run this website. That being said, I ran
into a bunch of annoying things around getting S3 and Cloudfront happy.
Eventually I ended up making the bucket a website and then pointing
CloudFront at the website url. Goal of that is that CloudFront does the
actual serving of files so I don’t spend money on S3 bucket fees. I did
set a budget of $10, so hopefully I would be alerted if the website
was costing real money.
Had some issues with forgetting to turn off draft status on my
info pages. I ended up having to override 6 different html files
from the theme. Most of which so I could turn a light theme into a
dark theme. A bit of a tweak to the home page so I can show more than
just one section on the home page. A tweak to the “info” section
so that section doesn’t look like posts, but are just static pages.
That’s where the about and series pages are located.
Would I do it again? Probably.
Now that everything is setup, the
posts just kind of roll out when I’m ready. I don’t have to worry
about keeping up some piece of blog software or getting hacked
and trying to sell viagra (or whatever happens these days). I could
integrate some comment system, but I’d rather setup a github account
and ask for corrections to be posted to a series repo as Issues.
I don’t want to deal
with comment spam. All in all, this site should be easy to write new
chapters, cheap to run, even if it gets popular.
Quick aside, I’m going to go on a rant about how shit some ts sites
work. I didn’t add tracking, I’ll get any stats I need from the
Looking forward to the potential triple header tomorrow from SpaceX.